Mould and mildew on walls are not only unsightly, but they’re also bad for your health too.
Mould, mildew and other indoor contaminants caused by poorly ventilated and leaking buildings result in the death of 600,000 children every year.
Fortunately, it’s easy to stop these fungi in their tracks. Here’s how to get started.
Always wear protective eyewear, gloves, and a face-mask when you go to war against mildew and mould.
1. Bleach it Away
First, whip up a solution of 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. Alternatively, you can use a domestic cleaner that has bleach as the active ingredient.
Before you get started, give the affected area a thorough once-over with a stiff bristled brush.
Spray the wall with the bleach mixture using a spray gun. If preferred, you can use a pressure washer.
Allow the bleach to go to work for about 20 minutes before scrubbing again to remove the mould. Rinse the area and dry it thoroughly.
Bleach can fade painted surfaces and is ineffective on porous surfaces.
2. Hydrogen Peroxide
If you don’t like using bleach, a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide will do the trick. Drench the affected surface with the peroxide solution and scrub with a non-metallic brush. Rinse and dry the wall.
Placing a little baking soda in the mix will speed things up and the thicker solution will stop spores from splashing over to other areas.
Be warned that hydrogen peroxide can also fade colours.
Borax is a gentler approach than the above methods but works just as well.
Mix 1 cup of borax into 1 gallon of water. Dip an old toothbrush in the mix and get to work on the patches of mildew.
For really stubborn bits, leave the borax solution on the wall for a few days and then vacuum it off.
This one involves a bit of science. Pour some vinegar into a glass bowl and insert a piece of copper wire into the mix. Leave it to brew for a few days.
The sulfites in the vinegar attract copper out of the wire and bind with it to form copper sulphate which is poisonous to fungi.
Spray your copper solution onto the walls, or wipe it over the mildew.
5. Commercial Products
An good-quality off-the-shelf mildew and mould remover spray will work just as well. Simply follow the instructions and voila!
This solution will cost you a little more than using the ordinary household products listed above though.
No More Mildew on Walls
Once you’ve gone to all the effort of cleaning mildew and mould off your walls, take steps to stop it from coming back.
The following tips work well:
- Dry your bath, shower and washbasins after use
- Install a dehumidifier
- Wipe vulnerable surfaces down with vinegar solution or tea tree oil weekly
- Regularly soak your shower curtains in hot water to kill spores
- Paint the wall with mildew-resistant paint
These fungi thrive in a moist environment. Fix leaks, and seal and caulk any cracks in your walls to prevent rainwater from getting into your house.
Stop Mildew Before it Starts
Prevention is always better than cure. Replacing your windows could be the first step toward a healthier home.
For more information on how to get the home finishes that you deserve and how to keep them that way, keep reading our blog or get in touch for a consultation.